Six Tips to Help You Find an Apartment Rental in Portland, Oregon
Whether you are searching for your first apartment or you’ve lived in apartments all your life, these tips could help you with your quest to find an apartment rental in Portland, Oregon.
- Assess Your Needs – Before you start your apartment hunt, take time to figure out exactly what you need. Even if this will be a temporary home, taking the time to identify your needs will help you choose the perfect place to call home. Specifically ask yourself these questions:
- How many rooms do I need in my apartment rental in Portland, Oregon? (i.e. number of bedrooms, office, studio etc).
- How much storage space and closets are required for my belongings?
- How much kitchen space do I require?
- What amenities would I like? (ex. pool, in suite washer/dryer hook-up, dishwasher, assigned parking space, garage etc.)
- Do I want specific features like a great view, pet friendly community, or close proximity to work?
- Prepare Ahead of Time – Lessen stress by bringing all the necessary paperwork. Create a listing of your current and previous three addresses and your landlord phone numbers. Provide you current employer and length of employment, your income, and personal references. You may be required to fill in an application form and if you have this information readily available, you will appear to be a responsible and serious renter.
- Determine How Much You Can Afford – There is no sense getting a luxury apartment if you are stuck home every night eating mac and cheese just to pay the rent. Figure out how much you can afford and don’t forget to include expenses like insurance, cable, telephone etc., as these may not be included in your monthly rent. A rule of thumb many banks suggest is that your rent should be no more than 30 percent of your monthly take home income.
- Start Your Search – There are many areas to search for vacant apartments. Look in the newspaper classifieds, apartment rental publications, college bulletin boards, online services like www.northwestrents.com, and property management agencies. Another way to find an apartment rental in Portland, Oregon is to ask friends and colleagues about their apartments and if their building sounds suitable, inquire about vacancies.
- Narrow Down Your Search – Start to narrow down the available properties based on the information you have gathered. Once you’ve found a handful that interest you, contact the property owner to arrange a visit.
- Scrutinize The Apartment – When you get a chance to visit the apartment, take your time and inspect everything you can. If there is anything you don’t like or is damaged, ask the landlord about changing it or having it repaired. Make sure any changes are addressed in your lease so that you have everything in writing. During your visit, be sure to check the following:
- How many common walls are there? Of course, the more walls in common, the more chances you’ll hear your neighbors.
- View the common areas like the lobby, parking, storage, laundry facilities, pool, gym etc. If they look in good condition, that is a good indication that the property manager is satisfactorily maintaining the building.
- Test the water pressure.
- Try the heat and air conditioning.
Taking your time and doing your homework upfront and completing a thorough inspection will help you find a terrific apartment that meets your needs. To help you find an apartment rental in Portland, Oregon, turn to NorthwestRents.com, as we own several multi-family properties and take pride in providing residents with a quality lifestyle.