Looking for Apartments for Rent in Portland, Oregon? Check Out These Handy Moving Tips
If you’ve been searching for apartments for rent in Portland, Oregon then in the next few weeks or months you may be moving. Packing and moving can be a stressful ordeal, especially if children and pets are involved. However, by being prepared and following these handy tips, you will be enjoying your new apartment in no time.
- Plan Ahead – Before you even start filling up boxes, make a list of all the things you need to remember regarding your move. It will help you stay organized if you stay on top of things like changing your address, booking utility appointments, and making your moving arrangements.
- Purge Before You Pack – There is no sense moving that ugly vase from Aunt Erma if you never intend to use it. Make three piles – keep, give away and garbage. Remember that your unwanted items could be very useful to a charity. Throw away anything that is damaged or dingy.
- Use Smaller Boxes – Those giant boxes that many moving companies supply are just too big to be practical. They become very heavy and unwieldy. Consider using smaller boxes that will help you stay more organized and will save your back.
- Wrap Carefully – Spend time wrapping fragile items and pack things well so that there is no rattling around in the box. You want your items to arrive safely so it is important to wrap fragile items properly to ensure no breakage.
- Create An Open Me First Box – Create a box with essentials that you will need immediately when you arrive at your new apartment for rent in Portland, Oregon. Include things like toilet paper, scissors, kitchen essentials, bathroom essentials, clock, radio etc. Also, create a file with important documents like your lease agreement, movers contact name and important phone number etc.
- Use The A-B-C System – A handy system for unpacking is to label every box with a priority. Priority A items have essential items that will be needed in the first couple of days. Priority B items are important, but not critical to your daily living. Priority C items are seasonal items and other items you won’t need right away. When you arrive at your new apartment, you will unpack your boxes in the priority sequence.
- Be Specific With Your Box Labeling – Use a large black marker and label each box on the sides and top. Be specific as to what is inside the box, label where it belongs and mark the priority. For example, Good Dishes – Kitchen, Priority B.
- Back Up Your Computer Files – Before packing up your computer, it is a good idea to back up all your important computer files and store them separately from the computer. This is an important safety measure just in case your computer is damaged during the move.
- Two to Three Weeks Before Moving Day, Discontinue Delivery Services – A couple of weeks before your move discontinue any delivery services like the newspaper and change your address on magazine subscriptions and other regularly mailed items.
- Advise Everyone That You’ve Moved – Use mail forwarding postcards or send an email to everyone (don’t forget your Doctor, Dentist etc) with your moving date, new address and phone number.
Moving really doesn’t have to be stressful if you are organized and plan ahead. Following these tips will help you achieve a controlled and successful move to your apartment for rent in Portland, Oregon!